Friday, September 2, 2011

Chloroplast Cell Speech

This week, we were assigned an organelle to study. We were given a hypothetical sitiuation involving different people (organelles) in a boat (cell), where one person had to be thrown off the boat. Our task was to create a speech that would show why our organelle was vital to a cell and could not be the one "thrown off the boat".


Before hand, I believed that the chloroplast would obtain energy from the sun and it could be directly used for the cell, however, I found out after doing research that, the function of a chloroplast consists of using chlorophyll to obtain energy from sunlight and convert it into food/ chemical energy that the cell can use. That energy is then broken down by the mitochondria and used by the cell.
The chloroplast works directly with the mitochondria and is a membrane bound organelle only found in eukaryotic plant cells. The chloroplast is neccessary to the cell because if it wasn’t there, the plant cell would not be able to obtain energy because a plant's energy comes from sunlight, and light energy is not obtainable for a plant without the chlorophyll contained in chloroplasts.
As a chloroplast, I am one of the most vital organelles of the plant cell. Using my chlorophyll, I conveniently absorb sunlight, as a source of energy, and convert it into food/ chemical energy. Without me, the cell has no way to obtain energy and will quickly die off. I am required because without me, other organelles cannot do their job (since they will not have energy to do so). Because of this, I cannot be removed from the cell.



After discussing with my group, I see that although I am required in the cell so the other organelles can do their job, they are also required so I can do my job. All the organelles in a cell are their to work together and are all needed for the cell to work properly and survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment