Friday, August 26, 2011

If I had to be a cell, which type of cell would I be?

If I were a cell, I could be a prokaryotic cell, an eukaryotic plant cell, or an eukaryotic animal cell.


As a prokaryotic cell, I would be very primitive/simple and be dependent on a eukaryotic cell. I would be very small, however, I would be difficlut to kill because I have 3 layers of defence: a capsule (outer layer), cell wall (middle layer) and a cell membrane (inner layer). Another benefit to being this type of cell is that I would be able to live in extreme enviroments; there are bacteria, such as the “Acidophilic” capable of surviving in very acid enviroments, or others capable of enduring extreme temperatures of lava of snow. On the down side, I wouldn’t have organelles (so I would lack many functions) and I would usually not produce sexually, so if I have a default, it is inevitably carried on to the cells I which I would produce.


As an eukaryotic plant cell, I would be able to create my own food with chloroplasts. All I would need to obtain energy would be an enviroment with sunlight (which I would absorb and convert into chemical energy that my cell could use), and the organelles I already posess. Although I would be inhibited from movement because of my cell wall, I am heavily protected from invadors and difficult to kill. I would have a large vacoule and be able to store plenty of food. I can also reproduce sexually and have a chance to not pass on faulty DNA if my mate didn’t have the gene.

As an eukaryotic animal cell, I would be mobile and able to move to a better enviroment or chase after prey. I would, however, not be able to produce my own food and I would be easily killed as I would have only a cell membrane to protect me. On the other hand, I can still reproduce sexually have a chance to not pass on bad DNA.


After reviewing how my life would be like as each type of cell, I would choose to be a eukaryotic plant cell. Although my cell wall would inhibit me from movement, it protects me and is difficult to penetrate. I have chloroplasts which allow me to produce my own energy by using the clorophyll in them to absorb sunlight which is converted into energy (perform photosynthesis). The chance of my survival is greater than other cells because I am more heavily defended and can obtain my energy by something as easily found as sunlight. I am able to reproduce sexually so I may have a chance to produce cells with different genes and not pass on my faulty DNA. These features make me the a very advanced, efficient cell, and the one I would prefer to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment